Now Facebook lets you "target" your posts by gender, relationship status, education, interested in, age, location and language. It's important to notice that this is a restriction option, not an expansion option. In other words, you can't reach out and find more single people or more people of a certain age, you can only have your post not appear in people's feeds that don't meet your criteria.
Why Restrict Who Can See Your Facebook Posts?
Here are some times when you might want to restrict who is able to see a post:
- Promoting special events or sales limited to a certain geographic region
- For offerings not applicable to all groups - products appealing to adults instead of children or men instead of women
- Specific language materials - guidebooks in Italian to residents of Italy only
- Regional news or events - update on city council race to specific city only
- And so on for Eduction (promote grad school or GED products) and Relationship Status (exclude marrieds from Singles events)
Instructions for Setting Who Sees Which of Your Facebook Posts
One has to be logged in to Facebook and find the link to learn how to change the settings for who can see what posts so we've copied them below.
How To Target For Facebook Posts
Add targeting to your Page posts so only the most relevant people will see them in their news feeds. Unlike when you limit your Page's audience, adding news feed targeting does not affect who can see the post on your Page. Hide posts that you don't want anyone to see when they visit your Page.
To add targeting:
- Before you publish your post, click the target in the sharing tool.
- Click Add Targetingand choose one or more filters:
- Click the options on the right side to choose who you want to target your post to. For example, when targeting by gender, Male is automatically selected. Click Male and select Female to target your post to women's news feeds instead.
- When you're done adding filters, click Post.
As you add filters, the number of people your post is targeted to will update next to Targeted to:. The more filters you add, the fewer people you'll target. The minimum number of people you can target your post to is 20.